MHSPC Communication Policies and Procedures
Editorial Guidelines (Approved 9/19/08)
The sections below provide direction on communications and instructions on how to place articles in the:
- Parents’ Club web site
- Class Sections
- Boosters Section
- All other MHSPC newsletters or written communications
Please refer to these editorial guidelines before submitting content.
Please include the following in your announcement:
- The event
- The sponsor
- When and where it will happen
- Why people should attend
- A contact phone number, email address, or both to get more information.
Please verify all the above facts in the materials you submit.
These publications cannot accept announcements that may jeopardize the MHSPC 501(c)(3) tax exempt status. For example, the Parents’ Club cannot be perceived as favoring one political candidate over another, or trying to enrich a candidate’s or elected leader’s campaign fund. When politicians are scheduled to appear on campus, announcements to promote such events must be reviewed and approved by the Parents’ Club President and Communications Vice President.
Web site-Specific Editorial Guidelines
The Parents’ Club seeks to produce electronic and information-technology products accessible to all members of the MHSPC community, and may modify submitted material to accomplish this goal.
2. Timeliness and accuracy of information
Web sites are most useful if information is accurate and timely. Out-of-date information must be removed and, if appropriate, archived (See 7). Whenever a page is removed or a URL is changed, steps must be taken to ensure that users will find the new page.
3. Use of primary sources of information
Redundancy, duplication of effort, out-of-date information, and even piracy can be avoided by linking to the content creator’s webpage. The goal is to avoid recreating data in multiple locations. If some of the information must be recreated, its accuracy must be confirmed with the content creator and copyright laws complied with. When use of copyrighted material may not be legal, use other material or consult with the Communications Vice President for a legal solution.
Linking to another MHSPC unit's web posting is often the best way to provide accurate information on programs or events that you do not manage. When linking to other web sites, consider ways to make the transition as seamless as possible for the user. For example, treat links to other web sites differently from links in your main navigation by putting them under the heading “Related Links.”
4. Ownership of information
Owners of information should be identified and recognized as the authoritative source of their data. These information owners have the responsibility to ensure that their information is correct. Example: team sites for Boosters; Classes.
5. Miramonte High School identity
Consistent, agreed-upon logos, typeface, and colors should be used to promote a shared school identity.
The MHSPC web site should be user friendly, using consistent graphics, editorial style and treatment of links, to promote a simple interface and intuitive navigation. The Communications Team suggests following the steps below to build a quality page.
- Consider your audience. Who will be looking for information on your site, and what type of information will they be seeking?
- Organize your content. What information do you need to present and who is responsible for that content?
- Check it. Proofread the text. Test all links.
Some of the information on the MHSPC web site is an institutional asset related to preserving MHSPC’s nonprofit status. MHSPC information owners must use archiving to preserve historical information as a matter of record. For example MHSPC meeting Minutes must be archived.
8. Confidential information
Confidential information must not be displayed on the MHSPC web site.
The following are examples of confidential information:
- Birth date, place of birth, ethnicity, home address
- Social security number, credit card number
- Personal health information.
9. Content Limitations
- MUST NOT CONTAIN: pornography/adult material, hate or violence-oriented material, material which supports racial intolerance, advocates against any individual or group, has an insulting, obscene, or degrading tone, or contains profanity. If the decision of the Communications Vice President to exclude or rewrite material is contested, the Principal will decide what is proper.
- MUST NOT contain information on: Hacking or cracking computer content, bomb creation, support for terrorism/radicalism/religious fanaticism, illicit drugs or drug paraphernalia, steroid use or advocacy, weapons or firearms, promotion of alcohol, tobacco, or related products or prescription drugs, or allude to the above, e.g. the announcement of a “Tequila Friday” party in promoting a parent social event. The labels of the above products may also not be used.
- MUST NOT contain any content that violates any law, is considered defamatory or libelous, or infringes on the legal rights of others.
- MUST NOT include a personal email, letter or other correspondence, or a reply to one of these.
- MUST NOT submit a student photo or work that has not been approved in writing by a parent or legal guardian. All students’ names must be submitted with the photo. The person providing a student photo is responsible for obtaining the permission and showing the Communications Vice President adequate proof of this.
Web site – Instructions for submitting content
The Parents’ Club, and Boosters welcome new content and updates to the MHSPC Web site.
1. Submission Procedure:
- Articles submitted are reviewed and edited by the MHSPC VP Communications, Class Editors, Editor, or Boosters Editor.
- All submissions are subject to editing for space, clarity, and conformity with editorial guidelines.
- All submissions should be checked for accuracy by the submitter.
- Submissions containing graphical content (e.g. picture, photo, art, video, movie) must be approved by the Principal, the Organization President and the Communications VP. Please review the photo guidelines in 9 above before submitting.
2. Submission Style, Content, & Attachments:
In order to ensure consistency in the look and feel of the web site, all submissions must conform to the following content guidelines:
- Colors - Black/Green (006400)
- Body - Arial, Size 10 or size 2, black, normal
- Headings - Arial, size 14 or size 4, green, normal
- Subheading - Arial, size 10 or size 2, black, bold
- Word - Most regular Word documents
- Excel – Works fine.
- PDF – Works fine.
- Attaching a file link - PDF format only
- Pictures – JPEG format (please see 9e)
- Movies – iMovie, Quicktime (must be approved by Principal, PC President and VP of Communication)
- Upon approval, organization section editors will publish the new or updated content on the web site.
Classified Ads (approved 4/12/2011)
Classified Ads in any MHSPC publication or the MHSPC website shall adhere to this policy.
Miramonte High School Parents' Club accepts ads on the MHSPC website to raise funds for school programs and to provide information about services available to the school community. The Community Advertisers page on the Miramonte Parents' Club website is a service provided to the community, not an endorsement of any particular advertiser, service or product.
Pricing for ads on the website will be determined annually by the VP Communications in consultation with the Ad Manager. Pricing for ads in MHSPC publications will be determined by the VP responsible for the event/program in consultation with the Chair of the event/program.
All advertisements are subject to the following guidelines:
- Advertisements must relate to Miramonte students or families.
- MHSPC will not accept religious, private school, or political advertisements, except statements from school board candidates and information related to measures that support our schools.
- Advertisements from fundraisers sponsored by OUSD Parents' Clubs, the Miramonte Booster Club, and EFO organizations will be considered "unpaid" advertisements.
- The Parent's Club reserves the right to refuse publication of any advertisement.
VP Communications, mail to: VPcommunications@mhspc.org
Webmaster, mail to: email@example.com
Terms and Conditions
Use of MIRAMONTE HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS’ CLUB or MHSPC Web Site
The MHSPC shall display the following on the MIRAMONTE HIGH SCHOOL PARENTS’ CLUB Web site:
YOUR USE OF THIS WEB SITE CONSTITUTES YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
- Limitations on Use. Any use of that part of the Content on this Web Site that includes the names and other identifying information of the students and staff of Miramonte High School, and the members and Board of the MHSPC is prohibited excepted as authorized in writing by the MHSPC Board. In addition, all Content on this Web Site is for personal use only and not for commercial exploitation. You may not copy, modify, reproduce, republish, distribute, display or transmit for commercial or public purposes all or any portion of the Web Site, except to extent permitted in writing by the MHSPC. You may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, rent, lease, loan, sell, sublicense or create derivative works from the Web Site or the Content. Nor may you use any network monitoring or discovery software to determine the site architecture, or extract information about usage or users. You may not use any robot, spider, other automatic device, or manual process to monitor or copy our Web Site or the Content without MHSPC prior written permission. Any unauthorized use of the Web Site or its Content is prohibited.
- No Solicitation. In no event may any person or entity solicit any Users with data or other information retrieved from this Web Site.
- Advertisers. This Web Site may contain advertising and sponsorship. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted is accurate and compiles with applicable laws. The MHSPC is not responsible for the illegality of or any error or inaccuracy in advertisers’ or sponsors' materials.
- Errors and Corrections. The MHSPC does not represent or warrant that the Web Site will be error-free, free of viruses or other harmful components, or that defects will be corrected. In addition, MHSPC does not warrant or represent that the information available on or through the Web Site will be correct, accurate, timely, or otherwise reliable. The MHSPC may make improvements and/or changes to the Web Site’s features, functionality or Content at any time.
- Third Party Content. Third Party content may appear on this Web Site or may be accessible via links from this Web Site. The MHSPC is not responsible for and assumes no liability for any mistakes, misstatements of law, defamation, slander, libel, omissions, falsehood, obscenity, pornography or profanity in the statements, opinions, representations or any other form of content contained in any third party content appearing on this Web Site. You understand that the information and opinions in the third party content is neither endorsed by nor does it reflect the opinions and policies of the MHSPC.
- DISCLAIMER. THE WEB SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS. THE MHSPC DISCLAIMS ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS, INJURY, CLAIM, LIABILITY, OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM, ARISING OUT OF OR ANY WAY RELATED TO (A) ANY ERRORS IN OR OMISSIONS FROM THIS WEB SITE AND THE CONTENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TECHNICAL INACCURACIES AND TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS, (B) ANY THIRD PARTY WEB SITES OR CONTENT THEREIN DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ACCESSED THROUGH LINKS IN THIS WEB SITE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY ERRORS IN OR OMISSIONS THEREFROM, (C) THE UNAVAILABILITY OF THE WEB SITE OR ANY PORTION THEREOF, OR (D) YOUR USE OF THIS WEB SITE.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. The MHSPC shall not be liable for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage of any kind resulting from YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITE. THE MHSPC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS' FEES) IN ANY WAY DUE TO, RESULTING FROM, OR ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEB SITE OR THE CONTENT. TO THE EXTENT THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS PROHIBITED, THE MHSPC SOLE OBLIGATION TO YOU FOR DAMAGES SHALL BE LIMITED TO $100.00.